Nova Health Provider Profile - Stephen G. Garratt
“What I love most about working in the medical field is being able to help someone at the most vulnerable time in their life.”
Stephen G. Garratt, BSN, MSN, FNP-C
Family Medicine – Junction City
Stephen’s career has always focused on leveraging his medical expertise to help those in need. Prior to becoming a nurse practitioner, Stephen worked as an EMT in a hospital setting as well as a medical-legal consultant and paralegal. Today, as a certified family nurse practitioner, Stephen is primarily responsible for performing comprehensive, episodic, and well-visit health assessments on new and existing adult and pediatric patient populations. Stephen’s areas of interest and expertise include diabetes management, specifically social determinants as they relate to treatment, as well as molecular and epigenetic factors that influence disease progression.
Stephen is accepting new patients.
Stephen obtained his EMT certification shortly after finishing his undergraduate education at the University of California at Santa Cruz. He went on to work in a hospital setting for several years, while simultaneously continuing his education in the legal profession at the University of San Diego. He worked in the legal field as a medical-legal researcher/paralegal for a number of years before completing a post–graduate certificate program at the University of California at Berkeley with a focus on cellular/molecular biology and biochemistry. While at Berkeley, Stephen helped run several research studies in clinical settings, taught and tutored classes in molecular biology and organic chemistry, and worked to develop outpatient volunteer treatment clinics for high-risk populations.
Stephen studied nursing at Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore, Maryland, and obtained a Bachelor of Science Degree in Nursing in 2014, and a Master of Science Degree in Nursing in 2016. After graduation, he moved back to California and began working as a family nurse practitioner in rural clinics in the Central Valley before moving to Oregon. Throughout his education and career, Stephen’s philanthropic nature has motivated him to take part in numerous volunteer causes, including Johns Hopkins Student Outreach Resource Center (SOURCE), in which he made monthly visits to patient homes to implement treatment plans and other interventions. He also served as a Leadership Committee member for the FIT for Health Childhood Obesity Program in San Francisco, CA, a program targeting at-risk children for diabetes and obesity.
“I would like to tell patients to take a proactive approach to their healthcare needs and ask lots of questions. Optimizing your health is a two-way street.” When not caring for his patients, Stephen enjoys camping, hiking, reading, playing sports with his son, and walking his dogs.
- Master of Science Degree in Nursing, Johns Hopkins University School of Nursing, Baltimore, MD, 2016
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Nursing, Johns Hopkins University School of Nursing, Baltimore, MD, 2014
- Post-Baccalaureate Health Professions Certification Program, University of California, Berkeley/U.C. Berkeley Extension, Berkeley, CA, 2012
- University of San Diego School of Law, Paralegal Program, San Diego, CA, 2002
- Bachelor of Arts Degree, University of California, Santa Cruz, Santa Cruz, CA, 1999
- Golden Valley Health Center | Family Nurse Practitioner | Le Grand and Turlock, CA | 2017 – 2021
- Family Health Medical Center | Family Nurse Practitioner | Los Banos, CA | 2016 – 2017
- Foley & Mansfield, PLLP | Expert Coordinator and Researcher | Oakland, CA | 2008 – 2013
- Licensed Family Nurse Practitioner, 2016 – present
- American Association of Nurse Practitioners (AANP) National Certification, Family Nurse Practitioner, 2016 – present
- Registered Nurse, 2015 – present
- Drug Enforcement Agency Controlled Substances Registration, 2017 – present
- Basic Life Support (BLS) certified
- Student Outreach Resource Center (SOURCE), Baltimore, MD, 2013 – 2014
- Chemistry/Biology Tutor for disadvantaged high school & college students, 2013 – 2014
- Leadership Committee, FIT for Health Childhood Obesity Program, San Francisco, CA, 2008 – 2011
- Research Assistant/Volunteer, Highland Hospital Emergency Department, Oakland, CA, 2007 – 2013
- Volunteer, San Francisco General Hospital Emergency Department, San Francisco, CA, 2012
- Volunteer, Alta Bates Medical Center Emergency Department, Berkeley, CA, 2012
- Sigma Theta Tau International Honor Society Inductee (Nu Beta Chapter)
- American Association of Nurse Practitioners National Certification
- AENT Scholarship Recipient, Johns Hopkins University
- Merit Scholarship Recipient, Johns Hopkins University
- Graduated highest honors from University of San Diego Paralegal Program
- Graduated cum laude from U.C. Santa Cruz