Nova Health Provider Profile
Edwin Weih, P.A.-C.
Edwin Weih has always been active and enthusiastic about travel, adventure, and helping others. It was while traveling throughout Jamaica with Project Hope when he was inspired to pursue a career in medicine. “I was following a Project Hope clinical pathologist while he trained local Jamaican medical providers.” Since beginning his career, Edwin has worked in both emergency room and primary care environments. His specialties include procedural medicine, weight loss medicine, and wilderness medicine, an area of expertise critical in his role as the medical director for New Vision Wilderness Therapy, a nationally recognized outdoor behavioral healthcare program where he no doubt inspires others to pursue a compassionate career in healthcare.
Edwin received his degree as a certified physician assistant from the Emory University School of Medicine Physician Associate Program. For over a decade he provided care at the Georgia Institute of Technology’s Student Health Service in Atlanta, GA while serving as a medical advisor for the school’s outdoor recreation program. Edwin then practiced medicine at Oakridge Medical Clinic as well as at Grady Memorial Hospital in the surgical emergency room where he treated minor to severe trauma. In 1996 he operated the Five Rivers Family Practice in Oakridge Oregon, a full-spectrum family practice that provided urgent and emergency care.
Furthering his expertise in wilderness medicine, from 1996 to 2012 Edwin served as the field medical director for the Catherine Freer Wilderness Therapy program. He has since served as the Field Medical Director for both New Vision Wilderness Therapy and Catalyst Wilderness Therapy.
Today, what Edwin loves most about his role as a caregiver, is his relationships with his patients. “What I love most about practicing medicine is getting to know our regular patient families.” When not treating patients or advising wilderness therapy programs, the former 5.11 rock climber can be found spending time with his wife and five children in Oakridge, keeping their farm running, woodworking, metalworking, or planning his next travel adventure.
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Physician Assistant Studies, Emory University School of Medicine Physician Assistant Program, Atlanta, GA
- New Vision Wilderness Therapy | Field Medical Director | Bend, OR | 2013 – Present
- Catalyst Wilderness Therapy | Field Medical Director | Portland, OR | 2013 – Present
- Five Rivers Family Practice | Owner, Manager, Certified Physician Assistant | Oakridge, OR | 1996 – 2018
- Catherine Freer Wilderness Therapy | Field Medical Director | Albany, OR | 1996 – 2012
- Oakridge Medical Clinic | Certified Physician Assistant | Oakridge, OR | 1992 – 1996
- Grady Memorial Hospital, Surgical Emergency Room, Emory University | Certified Physician Assistant | Atlanta, GA | 1992
- American Association of Physician Assistants (AAPA)
- National Commission on Certification of Physician Assistants (NCCPA)
- Oregon Medical Board
- Oregon Society of Physician Assistants (OSPA)
- Legislative Activity Committee of OSPA
- Wilderness Medical Society