Nova Health Provider Profile
“I was inspired to pursue a career in healthcare while serving in the U.S. Navy. During that time, I worked with and admired many high-functioning and compassionate nurses and decided to follow a nursing path.”
Brett O’Connor, NP-C
Brett O’Connor brings to Nova Health over thirty years of health care experience that includes inpatient, outpatient, long-term care, and specialty treatments. Today, as a registered nurse and nurse practitioner, Brett has most recently worked in both family practice and urgent care settings, treating a spectrum from pediatric to geriatric patients presenting with a range of concerns from complex chronic to acute medical needs. “Seeing people reach their highest potential of well-being as defined by them is what I love most about practicing medicine.”
Brett’s skills include the areas of cardiac disease, mental and behavioral health, diabetes, dementia, chronic pain, acute injuries, COPD, asthma, gastrointestinal disorders, infections, drug addiction, renal disease, lipid disorders, reading x-rays, suture repair, cast applications, PAP, anticoagulation therapy, PFT/EKG interpretation, and US/MRI/Lab interpretations. He also has extensive experience in addiction medicine and pain management. “I wish I could tell every patient, ‘become aware of your health care by educating yourself about your disease process and the medications you take.’”
Brett received his early healthcare experience as a Navy Corpsman. He worked in San Diego and Japan on a special surgery unit before training and assignment to urology and surgery. He then obtained a Bachelor of Arts Degree in Liberal Arts from Eastern Washington University, followed by restaurant management work in Seattle before his return to college at Columbia University to earn a Bachelor of Science Degree in Nursing.
He then chose to work in long term care for the next several years serving in a variety of roles. These positions ranged from resident care coordinator to director of nursing and finally working as a member of the New York Department of Health survey teams.
The next step for Brett was becoming part of the medical services team in the Peace Corps in Washington, DC. His position in Volunteer Support entailed coordinating the medical care of Peace Corps Volunteers who had been medivaced to Washington for treatment. He also guided overseas medical officers regarding chronic, urgent, and emergency conditions of volunteers, in addition to traveling to numerous developing countries to assess and vet medical facilities and Peace Corps Medical Offices overseas.
Brett then returned to hands-on nursing as a registered nurse working as a travel nurse and in a Nephrology and Diabetes unit at Scared Heard Medical Center in Spokane, Washington. This work precipitated his return to Washington State University in 2009 to earn a Master of Science Degree as a Family Nurse Practitioner.
He reconvened his work as a Nurse Practitioner in Sandpoint, ID at Sandpoint Family Medicine and Urgent Care, where he remained for the following nine years. During this time, in 2017, Brett completed a third-year Masters Certification program at Vanderbilt University to increase his knowledge and hone his urgent and emergency care skills.
- Post-Master’s Certificate, Emergency Medicine, Vanderbilt University, Nashville, TN, 2018
- Master of Science Degree, Nursing, Washington State University, Spokane, WA, 2011
- Bachelor of Science Degree, Nursing, Columbia University, New York City, NY, 1992
- Bachelor of Arts Degree, Liberal Arts, Eastern Washington University, Cheney, WA, 1986
- Program Completion, Urology Technician, Naval School of Health Sciences, San Diego, CA, 1976
- Sandpoint Family Medicine and Urgent Care | Primary Care Provider | Sandpoint, ID | 2011 – 2020
- Sacred Heart Medical Center | Staff Nurse | Spokane, WA | 2009 – 2010
- Favorite Healthcare | Staff Nurse Acute Care | Cleveland Park, KS | 2008 – 2009
- AACO Healthcare | Locums Staff Nurse | Spokane, WA | 2006 – 2009
- Bonner General Hospital | Circulating Operating Room Nurse | Sandpoint, ID | 2006
- United States Peace Corps | International Health Coordinator/Accommodation Coordinator FS-4 10 | Washington, D.C. | 1996 – 2003
- United States Navy | Corpsman | San Diego, CA and Yokosuka, Japan | Honorable Discharge 1975 – 1979
- DOT medical examiner certified
- Data Waiver 2000 for addiction treatment
- American Academy of Nurse Practitioners (AANP)
- State of Idaho Advanced Practice Nurse (APN) Certified
- State of Idaho Registered Nurse
- Idaho Board of Pharmacy
- Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA) Certified
- Basic Life Support (BLS), Advanced Cardiovascular Life Support (ACLS), and Advanced Trauma Life Support (ATLS) Certified