COVID-19 Testing Options
Nova Health is offering COVID-19 testing at all Nova Health Urgent Care locations
If you are sick or have been in close contact with someone that has been diagnosed with COVID-19, we highly encourage you to get screened by one of our trained providers to determine if testing is right for you.
COVID-19 Screening and Testing FAQ’s
What is Considered Direct Exposure to COVID-19?
People who have been in close contact/direct exposure with someone who has COVID-19 or are exhibiting COVID-19 symptoms.
What counts as close contact?
- You were within 6 feet of someone who has COVID-19 for a total of 15 minutes or more
- You provided care at home to someone who has tested positive for COVID-19
- You had direct physical contact with the person (hugged or kissed them)
- You shared eating or drinking utensils
- They sneezed, coughed, or somehow got respiratory droplets on you
Steps to Take During Quarantine:
- Stay home for 14 days after your last contact with a person who has COVID-19. In certain circumstances quarantine may be shortened to 10 days
- Watch for fever (100.4°F), cough, shortness of breath, or other symptoms of COVID-19
- If possible, stay away from others, especially people who are at higher risk for getting very sick from COVID-19
When Should Testing Occur?
- Testing should occur 7-days post-exposure
- If a test is performed prior to day 7, re-testing at day 7-10 days is recommended as false negative results are more likely when the test is performed prior to 7 days
- Quarantine may be shortened to 7 days with a negative PCR test. It is important that you quarantine as advised by public health officials.
- Rapid tests are antigen tests, the COVID-19 equivalents of a rapid strep test
- As with all rapid tests, there’s a balance between speed and accuracy
- The characteristics of the antigen testing technology may infrequently result in a “false positive” in patients without symptoms.
- PCR testing is the most sensitive and specific test available; however no single test is 100% accurate
How to Get Your Test Results:
Rapid Antigen Test
- If you receive a rapid antigen test, you MUST STAY at the testing facility to receive your results. If you need a copy of your results, please request one as you wait
- You will receive your results via a secure portal within 2-4 business days
- Login or create an account on the LabCorp patient portal at www.bit.ly/COVID19TestResult
Positive Test Result & COVID-19 Symptoms:
The CDC (Center for Disease Control) recommends that quarantine be maintained for at least 10 days after onset of symptoms and at least 24 hours after symptoms are resolved; whichever is longer.
Symptom free is defined by:
- At least 24 hours have passed since recovery defined as resolution of fever without the use of fever-reducing medications and improvement in respiratory symptoms (e.g., cough, shortness of breath); and,
- At least 10 days have passed since onset of symptoms
Negative PCR Test Results & Possible COVID-19 Symptoms:
You may return to work 24 hours after fever resolution and symptoms are improving
- If you develop loss of taste or smell, repeat testing is recommended.
- During this time, you must quarantine until you receive your results
- Continue to wear a mask for the duration of symptoms.
Negative PCR Test & No Symptoms & Direct Exposure:
Local Health Authority recommends quarantine for 14 days from last exposure if it is deemed a concerning exposure (defined as close contact) unless exempted.
- For household contacts this can be as long as 24 days (10 days’ household member is contagious plus the 14 days to exclude transmission to you).
- Exempted patients may be those considered part of the essential workforce and is decided on a case by case basis.
NOVA HEALTH STRONGLY RECOMENDS 14-DAY QURANTINE FOR ANY PATIENT THAT HAS A DIRECT EXPOSURE TO SOMEONE THAT HAS TESTED POSTIVE FOR COVID-19
Options to Reduce Quarantine for People Without Symptoms – according to the CDC:
CDC update from 12/2/20 allows quarantine to end sooner; 7 days with negative PCR test:
- On day 10 without testing and no symptoms
- On day 7 after receiving a negative PCR test result
After stopping quarantine, you should:
- Watch for symptoms until 14 days after exposure
- If symptoms present immediately quarantine and contact your healthcare provider
Wear a mask, stay at least 6 feet from others, wash their hands, avoid crowds, and take other steps to prevent the spread of COVID-19.
We realize you are in quarantine, and your results are very important.
Please check the LabCorp Portal for your results. We will call all positives.
COVID-19 Test Results: What to Expect
Rapid Antigen Test
If you receive a rapid antigen test, you must stay at the testing facility to receive your results.
If you need a copy of your results, please request one as you wait.
If you receive a PCR test you will receive your results within 2-4 business days.
Your PCR test results will be available via secure portal.
Log in or create an account on the LabCorp patient portal here.